Saturday, June 3, 2017

Love Story in Nature


I  love writing romance stories and I love studying nature and biology.  Every once in a while it seems like the two come together.  Here's an example of how!

This is how the male Vogelkop Bowerbird attracts a female.




Pretty cool, right?  :)

In this case, this Vogelkop Bowerbird inspires some thoughts on the definition of "bower" that moves neatly into some historical uses and brings to mind a couple of medieval era connotations. 

Bower - can be 1) a lady's private apartment in a medieval hall or castle or 2) an arbor, a shady garden retreat, often with vines and climbing plants such as roses.  (See:  Come to the Bower - The Medieval Garden Enclosed, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York)

No matter from which perspective the word is used, I love how the bower is a place where a suitor hopes to tempt his lady with every comfort.

Now back to writing some romance...

1 comment:

  1. How amazing. I like the orange nest best too, (poor guy with the fungus). What made me giggle was that it was So much effort for a quickie, lol.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Popular Posts